605 467 892
tel./fax.: (12) 389 53 95
napisz do nas
kontakt telefoniczny ponieważ poczta jest sprawdzana raz w miesiącu.
Already in 19th
century because of namulisko and bat feaces, a thorough industrial
utilization was conducted in the cave. During years 1872-1879 O.Grube
was responsible for cave’s exploitation and completely by accident he
discovered 4000 tusks which belonged to the cave bears. Even today if
you are lucky, you can find some treasures like that as well.
THE BAT CAVE
The cave is safe and is equipped with the lighting system. We are open
to cooperate with every travel agency.
The cave has already been used twice as a set design for films. First
time in 1995 when the film ‘Legenda o św. Mikołaju’ (‘The legend about
Santa Clouse’) was made. For the second time on November 5th 1997 Jerzy
Hoffman shot a scene to the film ‘Ogniem i mieczem’ (‘By the fire and
How to get to the Bat Cave:
From the route Olkusz – Kraków we go down next to the sign which informs
about the cave. It is on the east part of Jerzmanowice village. The cave
itself is located in the upper part of Dolina Błędowska (about 1km from
the main road no 94, E40)
The name of cave derives from the remains which were found here in the
past and the bat species which are living here nowadays.
The Bat Cave is located among the rocks in the upper part of Dolina
Błędowska, 447m. above sea level. Being 306m. long, it’s one of the
biggest caves in Jura Krakowska.
Special attention should be drawn to naciekowy waterfall which is
situated in the front part of the cave and kotły wirowe on the ceiling
in the deeper parts of the cave.
Written history of the cave dates back to the early years of the 19th
century. Already in 1841 A.Grabowski after visiting the cave mentions
about earlier namuliska mining, which was used as a fertilizer.
Industrial utilization was conducted by O.Grube from Górnośląski Urząd
Górniczy in 1872-1879, what resulted in destroying cave’s osady.
First research were conducted here in 1871 by count Jan Zawisza who was
the owner of Dolina Ojcowska. He contributed to find numerous
archaeological monuments and animal bones. During industrial utilization
of namuliska archeological inspection was supervised by F.Romer who
donated all the findings to Wrocław Museum. In 1918 when the first
private owner was Antoni Ferdek (guide in Ojców), Leon Kozłowski
conducted prospecting near the cave entrance.
Systematical and methodical archaeological research were started after
the Second World War by Waldemar Chmielewski in 1956-1963.
From the archaeological point of view the Bat Cave is famous foremost
from stanowisko górnopaleolityczne dated back to 38000 years ago which
was used as a camp by cave bear hunters. Jerzmanowice’s hunters belonged
to human group – HOMO SAPIENS and were representatives of so called
JARZMANOWICKA CULTURE. They created among other things: flint spearheads
During excavations some parts of pottery, stone and flint tools were
also found. Most of them were left by the human groups who visited the
cave in later ages – from neolit to the Middle Ages, that is from 4500
years B.C. to the 13th century A.D.
On the archaeological levels of the cave, bones and animal teeth were
discovered as well. They mainly belonged to bears (4000 tusks), hyenas,
lions, badgers, mammoths, European bisons, włochatego rhinos, reindeers,
horses and rodents, birds and fish.
Flint tools from the Bat Cave found during research conducted by
L.Kozłowski (1918) and W.Chmielewski (1956-1959)